Have you been injured as a result of a crime? Was someone close to you killed during a criminal incident? Have you been traumatised by criminal threats of assault? You don’t have to deal with the loss and damage all on your own. You may be eligible for compensation from the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal. If you are unsure of how to go about applying for compensation, Bayside Solicitors may be able to assist.

When Is Compensation Awarded?

Compensation is available according to the laws and regulations contained in the Victims of Crime Assistance Act 1996 and the various Victims of Crime Regulations, which cover issues such as the rules for getting compensation and the procedure for applying. This Act and these regulations were made by the Victorian Parliament from the mid ’90s onwards, to provide real assistance to people who had been unfairly hurt as a result of criminal activity. They established key guidelines for eligibility, such as that:

  • The person applying must be a primary or secondary victim of the crime (exceptions: legal guardian, or dependant of person who has died as a result of a crime)
  • Relevant crimes include but are not limited to assaults and sexual offences
  • Crime must have been reported to police within a reasonable time
  • Crime must have occurred within the last two years (with limited exceptions)
  • Compensation can cover pain & suffering, medical bills, counselling, funeral expenses, loss of earnings, and other expenses in exceptional circumstances (up to a certain limit)

In the event that you are not eligible or have had your VOCAT application rejected, we can discuss alternatives such as pursuing action against the offender.

If you believe you may be eligible for victim’s compensation, and need help with your application, please call our Frankston office on (03) 9781 4822.